Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Princess and the Panic Attack: An Introduction

 
I have panic disorder.  I've had it for the past eight years.  I have decided to start blogging about it because I think it will be therapeutic for me.  Also, you, dear Reader, may enjoy reading about my panic-ridden life and laughing with (and sometimes at) me.
 
 
I'd like to clarify something about the title of this blog: I am not really a princess.  This is not Kate Middleton's blog about panic attacks.  One of my bosses once called me a princess, and not in an endearing "Aww, Princess, it'll be okay" way.  The title is a parody of the children's story, The Princess and the Pea
 
According to the Mayo Clinic (and of course my own personal experience), panic attack symptoms include:
 
  • Sense of impending doom or danger
  • Fear of loss of control or death
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Sweating
  • Trembling
  • Shortness of breath
  • Hyperventilation
  • Chills
  • Hot flashes
  • Nausea
  • Abdominal cramping
  • Chest pain
  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Faintness
  • Tightness in your throat
  • Trouble swallowing

  •  
     
    Let's go over some of the things that trigger panic attacks in me:
     
    Stop lights.
     
    Mother of God.
     
    The interstate.
     
    Pictured: Sheer terror.
     
    Walking from my office to the bank across the street.
     
    Obvious danger.
     
    These, along with many, many other stimuli produce panic attacks for me.  So follow me, and let's share our experiences with panic disorder. 
     
    Tell me about your own experiences in the comments!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment