Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Support Group

Recently, I got the very brilliant idea to start an anxiety support group in my area.  I thought it would be nice to get people with like problems together so that we could all drink punch and discuss the perils of being afraid of nothing.

Since I have no money to run a real ad and unlimited faith in the internets, I posted an ad on craigslist.

I struggle with my own mental health, and am interested in starting a support group for people in the area who share the same problems.

If you would be interested in joining or helping me form such a group, please respond via e-mail. There is definitely strength in numbers, and I think it could be a really good thing to help one another out. Thanks for your interest!


I diligently checked my phone every few minutes after posting waiting for the email floodgates to open.  After a few days with no response, I had essentially given up on my genius idea for a support group.  Clearly there weren't any other people in my area with anxiety problems.

But then....I got an email:

i have high anxiety manic depression, and panic attacks

Not a whole lot of detail, could've used some more punctuation and capitalization in places, but I was thrilled.  I gleefully exchanged emails with this man over the following couple of days, and we finally decided to meet up in a local Barnes and Noble.  I referred to this person to my real-life friends and family as my Anxiety Buddy.  Anxiety Buddy and I were going to become great friends and significantly improve each others lives.

The night before our intended meetup, I googled my newfound friend's email address just to make sure he wasn't a sex predator or anything.

Well...

HE WAS A SEX PREDATOR.

A Google search of Anxiety Buddy's email address revealed that he is a "MAJOR BBW AGENT LOOKING FOR PROPER MODEL," an "Adult Movie Producer searching for 13 inches," and a "pool champion."

Long story short, I decided not to meet up with him.

Sometimes our expectations are very different from our realities.

Expectation.

Reality (probably).

No comments:

Post a Comment